On Thursday 22nd May* the UK’s finest chefs will be gathering at Street Feast, Dalston Yard, giving their acclaimed vendors the night off! But why? I hear you cry! I’ll tell you why.
They’re doing it to end world hunger, of course. This smoking hot evening will be the second annual Auction Against Hunger, hosted by chef, author and Sunday Times columnist Gizzi Erskine, in aid of humanitarian charity Action Against Hunger.
On the bill are Nuno Mendes, Pascal Aussignac, Francesco Mazzei, Anna Hansen, Jose Pizarro, Dishoom, Neil Rankin and Paul A. Young – they’ll be sweating it out side-by-side with Street Feast regulars Yum Bun, Breddos Tacos and Pizza Pilgrims.
It was the bright idea of a gentleman called Ben Maschler (son of restaurant critic Fay and co-founder of the Draper’s Arms, Islington). And a very bright idea it was too.
Tickets cost £55 and include a Taittinger Champagne bar, loads of fabulous food from the chefs’ stalls, complimentary drinks including frozen Margaritas courtesy of Jose Cuervo and festival-sized pints of cocktails from the Rotary Bar, as well as live entertainment. (Don’t miss the Rotary Bar – those guys know their cocktails).
Ticket holders will also get the chance to bid for a whole host of money-can’t-buy auction prizes including:
- The River Cafe’s Head Chef will cook for you and ten guests in your home.
- Create Your Own Concrete Work with legendary New York chef, Mark Rosati
- Create one of Shake Shack’s famous frozen yoghurt drinks, which will then feature on the menu for a limited period.
- Be A Restaurant Critic – dine out with legendary critic Fay Maschler and then work with her to create a review for The Evening Standard.
- Go behind the gates of the ‘Wonka Factory’ and into the experimental kitchen of The Fat Duck, before sitting down to enjoy the full tasting menu with paired wines. An incredible experience!
- Restaurant critic, Tom Parker-Bowles will come to your house and cook for you and eight guests.
Hot Dinners will also be supporting the event with a week-long online auction to help raise crucial funds for malnourished children across the world. Simply visit http://www.hotdinners.com/auctionagainsthunger from noon on Friday 16th May to place your bid.
Tickets went on sale this very morning. Buy them here.
*GRUMP’S BIRTHDAY FYI.